Hindustan Times Report
Delhi is the fake Capital with 66 colleges -- the highest for any state in India – offering engineering and other technical courses without the regulator’s permission. There are 279 such technical institutes in the country.
Simply put, these schools don’t have the authority to grant degrees. Education certificates issued by such colleges are nothing but a piece of paper.
The Capital also has seven of the country’s 23 fake universities, the University Grants Commission has said.
In an annual review, the UGC and All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE) last month put out a list of such fake institutes on their websites, warning students ahead of the new academic session that kicks in next month.
“We send the list of unapproved and unregulated technical institutions to concerned state authorities for taking appropriate action against such institutions,” an official said.
Telangana, Uttar Pradesh, West Bengal, Maharasthra also have a sizable number of fake technical institutes.
To ensure students don’t apply to such colleges, the technical education regulator, the AICTE, has also issued notices to these schools for not taking its approval.
“Public notices are also published in newspapers cautioning the students not to take admission in such unapproved institutions,” the official said.
Minister of state for human resource development Mahendra Nath Pandey told the Rajya Sabha recently that the ministry had written to state governments to investigate the matter and register police complaints against fake universities.
Menace of fake institutes is widespread and is getting increasingly lucrative, as more students look for higher education to improve their job prospects.
Here is a list of the 23 fake universities in the country:
1) Maithili University/Vishwavidyalaya, Darbhanga, Bihar.
2) Commercial University Ltd., Daryaganj, Delhi.
3) United Nations University, Delhi.
4) Vocational University, Delhi.
5) ADR-Centric Juridical University, ADR House, 8J, Gopala Tower, 25 Rajendra Place, New Delhi - 110 008.
6) Indian Institute of Science and Engineering, New Delhi.
7) Viswakarma Open University for Self-Employment, Rozgar Sewasadan, 672, Sanjay Enclave, Opp. GTK Depot, Delhi-110033.
8) Badaganvi Sarkar World Open University Education Society, Gokak, Belgaum, Karnataka.
9) St. John’s University, Kishanattam, Kerala.
10) Raja Arabic University, Nagpur, Maharashtra.
11) Indian Institute of Alternative Medicine, Kolkatta.
12) Institute of Alternative Medicine and Research,8-A, Diamond Harbour Road, Builtech inn, 2nd Floor, Thakurpurkur, Kolkatta - 700063
13) Varanaseya Sanskrit Vishwavidyalaya, Varanasi (UP) Jagatpuri, Delhi.
14) Mahila Gram Vidyapith/Vishwavidyalaya, (Women’s University) Prayag, Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh.
15) Gandhi Hindi Vidyapith, Prayag, Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh.
16) National University of Electro Complex Homeopathy, Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh.
17) Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose University (Open University), Achaltal, Aligarh, Uttar Pradesh.
18) Uttar Pradesh Vishwavidyalaya, Kosi Kalan, Mathura, Uttar Pradesh.
19) Maharana Pratap Shiksha Niketan Vishwavidyalaya, Pratapgarh, Uttar Pradesh.
20) Indraprastha Shiksha Parishad, Institutional Area,Khoda,Makanpur,Noida Phase-II, Uttar Pradesh.
21) Gurukul Vishwavidyala, Vridanvan, Uttar Pradesh.
22) Nababharat Shiksha Parishad, Anupoorna Bhawan, Plot No. 242, Pani Tanki Road,Shaktinagar, Rourkela-769014.
23) North Orissa University of Agriculture & Technology, Odisha.
* Bhartiya Shiksha Parishad, Lucknow, UP - the matter is subjudice before the District Judge - Lucknow
The details of fake universities are available on the UGC website www.ugc.ac.in.
Note: Go to this website to see the list of fake/unapproved technical institutes in the country compiled by AICTE.